E3 2008: The Aftermath

Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited July 2008 in Gaming
Now that the big 3 have given their keynotes, wadcha think? Personally, im disappointed overall, I was expecting more killzone 2 and infamous, and maybe even gameplay footage from god of war 3. There was WAYY too much focus on system software and not enough gaming software. The biggest bombshell there was brobably FFXIII on 360 (and a bit of mudslinging from MS at Sony, along with MS flashing their money around toting all of their exclusives).

What DID get me excited was new footage of Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, and *ahem* Animal Crossing. What about you guys?

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    lol Animal Crossing. It's still not over, but I was excited about play from HDD, transfer movies to PSP, Gears 2, Fable 2, Star Ocean 4, and Fallout. The new dash looks nice, but overall everything was pretty low-key. No new hardware means they had to focus on the software.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Fallout 3, Fallout 3, and... Fallout 3. That is all.

Wii is the only system I have, and I was quite disappointed. No "awesome" games at all. Animal Crossing is an "ok" game but I was hoping for a game that I could play for hours and hours.

We'll see what happens in the next few days when they get hands-on with some of the games that weren't announced during the presentations, like Far-Cry 2 and Crysis Warhead.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    Fallout 3, Fallout 3, and... Fallout 3. That is all.

Wii is the only system I have, and I was quite disappointed. No "awesome" games at all. Animal Crossing is an "ok" game but I was hoping for a game that I could play for hours and hours.

We'll see what happens in the next few days when they get hands-on with some of the games that weren't announced during the presentations, like Far-Cry 2 and Crysis Warhead.

Crysis Warhead yessir! Oh man, It's going to be great. New technology coupled with engine optimizations. PC Gamer had an excellent write up on it last month.

Far Cry 2 looks great as well, but I loved Crysis so much, hard to get behind Ubisoft on what I consider to be the 'fake' sequel to Far Cry. Sounds asinine, I know.

PC looks great all around.

Wii did dissapoint. The Wii Motion addon is sweet, hopefully we'll see the Red Steel type game we were promised. But man, Nintendo has GOT to stop focusing on the casuals and start treating their hardcore crowd with respect. There are no real big titles (animal crossing should be great), but all the casual 'wagglin and mini gaman' stuff they showed off made me facepalm.jpg. They've got to move forward, past the mario/metroid/zelda games and really strengthen their library. EA's Skate game with the balance board could be amazing... but I don't have the balance board.

The DS is going very strong though. That got me excited, I just bought a DS. The library looks like it's going strong, and they plan to support it for awhile. With the amount of units sold on it, that only makes sense.

While I don't give a crap about Xbox 360, I think they've just gained a huge up on Sony by stealing Final Fantasy. But their dashboard redesign is terribly lame. It's as if Sony and Microsoft are desperately trying to get on the cute and casual bandwagon with Nintendo.

So, looking great for PC gamers, not so much on Wii.

And Weezer, I find it funny that you're pumped for Fallout 3... considering Fallout 2 came out 10 years ago. I'm sure you haven't played the predecessors, but they're some of the biggest classics of PC RPGs. I hold Fallout2 HIGH on my list of all time favorites. But you know a good game when you see it I guess, nothing wrong with that.

Speaking of good games, How's Beyond Good and Evil going? Put down rock band long enough to play it for once? ;)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    anything on the ghostbusters game?
    edited July 2008
    Lynx, I second everything you said in your post. I have that issue of PC Gamer right next to me. I'm really excited to hear that if you could play Crysis, then you can play Warhead even better!!! I think I'm going to download the first Far Cry to get ready for the second. $8.99 on Steam.
    UPSLynx wrote:
    And Weezer, I find it funny that you're pumped for Fallout 3... considering Fallout 2 came out 10 years ago. I'm sure you haven't played the predecessors, but they're some of the biggest classics of PC RPGs. I hold Fallout2 HIGH on my list of all time favorites. But you know a good game when you see it I guess, nothing wrong with that.

As for Fallout, I saw the Trailer/Demo and was amazed! I'm downloading the demo to the first Fallout right now.:) I can't find a Fallout2 demo though. After this one I think I'll download Fallout Tactics. We'll see.
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Speaking of good games, How's Beyond Good and Evil going? Put down rock band long enough to play it for once? ;)

No.:D I have the Rocket Jump thing for my Hovercraft though.
  • edited July 2008
    The Sony keynote was disappointing. There was no live demos! Did you notice how they only commented on the things they have accomplished with the PS2 and their companies longevity over there current status with the PS3, and even when they did the numbers we nothing to be impressed by. When wrapped up, they mostly talked about what they have established over talking about the future. The only thing that they clearly had planned for the future is the online media/content. =/

The Nintendo keynote was nice, Motion Plus sword fighting is looking fun!

Microsoft kicked ass! They got me excited. Imo, only they had games that excited us and also surprised us (Portal, Final Fantasy).
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Sony is reeling from the media fallout of the xbox 360 / FF13 announcement. They have nothing to show that could even remotely come close to that blockbuster.
  • edited July 2008
    Sony is reeling from the media fallout of the xbox 360 / FF13 announcement. They have nothing to show that could even remotely come close to that blockbuster.
    Although the very Cloverfield-esque Resistance 2, looked pretty nice. I wish we could have seen a little more of inFamous as well.

I thought that guy would be dead after being hurled several hundred feet through windows and landing on solid concrete.
    edited July 2008
    Oh yeah, forgot about Spore. I have the Creature Creature and I love it. I can't wait till that game comes out. Looks really good.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    anything on the ghostbusters game?

nothing from the big 3 press confrences, but e3 lasts all week, so expect it.
  • edited July 2008
    Gate28 wrote:
    nothing from the big 3 press confrences, but e3 lasts all week, so expect it.

Well, if your watching G4 it was on last night on the G4 Xplay set. It was demoed there too. It looks pretty good!
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Purplez wrote:
    Well, if your watching G4 it was on last night on the G4 Xplay set. It was demoed there too. It looks pretty good!

was it as bland and repetitive as i expected?
  • edited July 2008
    Gate28 wrote:
    was it as bland and repetitive as i expected?
    Even if it was, do you think the developers would come there to demo it and let the viewers think that? :p

It has nice graphics, character/anatomy and ghosts look highly realistic/believable.

It has a good physics system.

It has a money system - the more property you destroy while hunting down the ghost, the less money you earn. What you do with the money, however, I did not catch.

Missions look fun because establishments/buildings are open whole to you, so there is no linear game play.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I was stupidly impressed with Fallout 3. Bethesda did an amazing job at incorperating the turn-by-turn play style of the previous Fallout games.

On another topic though...

did anyone see The Dead Space Dismemberment Trailer? I must say, those guys are twisted and you know what. It's the WORST game i've ever seen...

OHHH!!!!

By the way. Who saw the Price Of Persia Trailer?!?! WHAT DID THEY DO?!?!?! ANIME PRICE OF PERSIA?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :hair::hair::hair:
    edited July 2008
    Deadspace. Looks. Awesome.
  • edited July 2008
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    OHHH!!!!

By the way. Who saw the Price Of Persia Trailer?!?! WHAT DID THEY DO?!?!?! ANIME PRICE OF PERSIA?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :hair::hair::hair:

I wouldn't worry, the game play looks AMAZING! I didn't see the trailer, but whatever you saw, I think you'll take it back when you see the ingame graphics. I can't wait to have the chance to play this game!:D
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited July 2008
    Sony should concentrate on the PS3 and make it an actual gaming machine rather than media center, and stop pushing more development for PS2. That's what MS did and look at the success that they've had with the 360's games. The PS3 is an incredible machine and has some awesome games, but they really need to get some console selling titles out. I wasn't too impressed with anything that they showed at E3, and now that final fantasy is coming out for the 360 they really need to step their game up.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Purplez wrote:
    I wouldn't worry, the game play looks AMAZING! I didn't see the trailer, but whatever you saw, I think you'll take it back when you see the ingame graphics. I can't wait to have the chance to play this game!:D

http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/videos/27013/Exclusive_Hands_On_Prince_of_Persia.html

It's alot more artistic and alot less realalistic....

I personally don't like it :(
    edited July 2008
    Summary:

Sony: Less media, moar games plzthx
    Nintendo: Less minigames, moar good games ploz
    Microsoft: Keep up the good work
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited July 2008
    Nintendo's conference...

*Slide show of marketing graphs pops up on screen*
    *Reggie looks serious*
    Reggie: Don't worry guys I will keep this short this time.
    *20 Hours later*
    Reggie: We here at Nintendo think Wii is Mii. And you the Mii is what makes the Wii. Wii.
    Reggie: We also think that here at Nintendo. Accessories just make the world go round like a Wii in your Mii. With that said heres a precision motion sensor of hax0rs attachment. Wii should have included this at launch but.... we love accesories...

*8 years later*

You can buy this blast processing roller wii blade and then roller roll roll rick roll yourself through sonic blast rangers with your Wii helmet and pew pew the dolphins.
    Thanks for listening to me, I am a reggie and I am a cyborg.

*enter dumb smiling bitch*
    Bitch 1: We here at Nintendo believe in keeping smiles on peoples faces but somehow not annoucing any video games is going to do this... well we have one for you hardcore fans... Wii music.

Oh please Nintendo that was freaking disappointing. I hope they don't go down hill, I know thats a stretch but lots of casual crap is being pumped out, not many good third party games. Third party games like Disney movies and all that **** is what I see on shelves in best buy.

Microsofts Conference:

Guy 1: Clap clap clap *laughs a little like a school girl* WE HAVE SOMETHING FOR U LUUK AT SCR33n.

*movie*

Guy 1: *clap clap clap no one is cheering*

Enix Guy: We finally did it, we switched to Microsoft *begins to walk off stage later and he trips... money pours out and drowns everyone in the audience... fatality*

I don't care about xbox, I don't have one.

Sony conference:

Guy of no name: OK GUYS LOOOOOOOK we are losing moneyz but I can do this... WE CAN DO THIS... $399 for a 80gb hard drive with no backwards compatibilitz. Yeah I know hey if you want to play ps1 and 2 games.... Buy our PS2 we have over 9000 games being developed by chuck norris to pwn.

Ok sony wasn't that bad, I am actually looking forward to little big planet.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2008
    The press shows from E3 sucked across the board. There was more going on at the individual developer booths around and that didn't get nearly enough coverage for any of the platforms.
    edited July 2008
    20080716.jpg
    edited July 2008
    I don't get it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    XBoX. Sony. Nintendo.
    edited July 2008
    Sarcasm. And you have the last two mixed up. ;)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I didn't put 'em in order. :sad2:
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Nintendo wrote:
    "We are rich as ****, Here is a bunch of **** you don't care about"

I have read it 4 times now and I laugh every time, I love it!

-Bobby
    edited July 2008
    Bubbleman, that's a very good sum up of the conferences.

Prime, you forgot to mention that Microsoft's LIVE redesign is pretty retarded. They're cashing in to the Mii crowd, whatever. But it's just dripping of cute and casual and nobody cares.
    edited July 2008
    Microsoft sees the writing on the wall and is responding appropriately: What to a hardcore gamer is "cute and casual" is "fun and appealing" to a much, much, MUCH larger audience. Microsoft is taking (several) cues from Nintendo's playbook and realizing that making games and systems for the 1% of Earth that are "hardcore gamers" is not going to turn into profit or longevity.

Gotta broaden to stay in business :)
  • edited July 2008
    20080716.jpg
    lmao